Developing a social media campaign for the 2nd Annual Celebrate John Muir Health! Gala, “Reaching New Heights”
Media outreach is a fundamental part of a successful public relations campaign. In addition to traditional media outreach, social media engagement has become a key ingredient in connecting businesses with their targeted audiences.
The John Muir Health Foundation, the philanthropic arm of nonprofit health organization John Muir Health, hosted its second annual Celebrate John Muir Health! fundraising gala on Nov. 7, 2015. The Harden Partners team promoted the event and educated the local community about the Foundation’s philanthropic mission
The Harden team created a strategic campaign utilizing traditional and social media outreach to enhance community engagement surrounding the event.
- Prior to the date of the gala, we created and managed social media accounts for the gala, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, to share information directly with the local community and donors.
- Developed weekly social media posts for the Facebook page bringing attention to John Muir Health’s comprehensive cancer care programs and services benefiting from the gala’s proceeds, including photos, videos and posts.
- Posted social media content on Twitter and Instagram in real time from the event.
- Drafted and distributed pre-event and post-event press releases for the gala.
- Conducted outreach to local health media and society outlets to secure event coverage.
Social media outreach of the event resulted in active community awareness for the John Muir Health Foundation’s gala and philanthropy. During the campaign, the social media pages generated a following by members of the John Muir Health community.
The three-month campaign resulted in the following social media engagements:
- The #CelebrateJMH15 event hashtag was used and reposted by several other social media accounts participating in the event—including Blue Print Studios (16,200 followers) and NORCAL Ambulance (68 followers).
In addition, traditional outreach resulted in media coverage published in targeted local and society outlets. The John Muir Health Foundation gala was featured in six media placements, including the hometown newspaper and social magazines of the East Bay.
- Full-page story in Walnut Creek Magazine’s January/February 2016 print issue.
- Half-page story in Diablo magazine’s February 2016 print issue.
- Coverage in local and community media such as East County Today, Contra Costa Times, Diablo Gazette and Pleasanton Weekly.